Sunday, October 01, 2006

The End of the Challenge

Just today, I finished my final (fifteenth) composition in my personal challenge to compose fifteen musical pieces in thirty days. I must say, I’m glad that’s over. By the end, I really didn’t care about my compositions, and I decided to make them a minimum of one line long each. Overall, I don’t think it was a successful way to force myself to compose quality music.

However, I did compose some music, so it wasn’t a complete waste. It’s my philosophy that nothing anyone ever does can possibly be a COMPLETE waste to the universe. The results may not be, in a subjective point of view, “positive”, but the universe is always changing.

Still, I think I’ll take a break from composing music for a while, and start planning for NaNoWriMo. I enjoy composing music, but too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. A good plan would be to compose music every second day, to give my brain a rest. It’s like how I update my blogs every second day. I write one post for this blog, then I proofread it and post it the next day. On the third day, I write a post for my journal blog, and on the fourth day, I edit that post. On the fifth day, I start the cycle again, and that seems to keep my mind always refreshed and eager to start on the next blog post.

A good amount of time for me to compose music each day, I think, would be half an hour to a whole hour. It wouldn’t be too hard to find half an hour to and hour each day when it’s quiet and I can focus entirely on the music. If I get tires of working on one piece, I could conitnue by working on another piece for the rest of the hour, composing for a certain amount of time each day rather than for a certain quantity of music.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home